Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 22: It Smells Good Outside

Wow! What a day. Dr. Frangoul and team came in this morning around 9:00 and gave us the final OK to get out. Of course that meant we got out sometime after lunch. While we were waiting for the final paperwork and a final medication, Cindy finished taking down the room and I packed it away in the truck. Cindy had done an excellent job making the hospital room as cheerful as possible. Consequently, we had quite a few posters and decorations to pack up. Not to mention the zillion hats, games, books and balloons all of you have sent AJ. We ended up filling up the entire back of Cindy's suburban (without the third row in place) as well as my blazer.

AJ got to say goodbye to some of the friends he made at the hospital. Perhaps we will see some of them in clinic in the coming weeks. My heart goes out to all these kids who, like AJ, are all fighting incredible battles. You so want to hug them and waive a magic wand and make it all better. If you are elegible and have not done so already, PLEASE put yourself on the bone marrow registry, www.marrow.org.

When we finally left the confines of the hospital and AJ opened the door to the outside he took a deep breath and said: "It smells good outside." AJ spent 28 days in the hospital. 6 pre-transplant and 22 post. It dawned on Cindy and I tonight that neither of us, in all 28 days, ever heard AJ complain that he was in the hospital. Not that he wanted to be there. Rather he took what was a bad situation and made the best of it. I wish I had his strength and dedication. Heck, I complain when the coffee pot is empty.

We spent the rest of the day unpacking into the apartment and I did another shopping run. Cindy took a bunch of photos today and I promise we'll get some posted tomorrow.

-Greg

11 comments:

Kaufmann said...

FABULOUS!!!! I hope today is a wonderful as yesterday. We love you guys lots.

Tatum

Diane Gitler said...

What a happy day! Thank you for inspiring all of us with your daily blog. Because of you, I am now a marrow donor. I ordered the kit (it was free b/c a sponsor is picking up all costs right now), submitted my swab samples (you have to swab the inside of your mouth) and mailed it back. Now I am on a list to help others just like Austin helped AJ. I am overjoyed that AJ's recovery is going smoothly and will continue to pray for all of the Reveras. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I read your comments today and it reminded me that we all need to have the "faith of a little child".
I am so happy AJ is doing so well and I pray each day gets better. AJ you have been an example of courage and faith to us "old" guys. Have a great day! You have made my day great already!

My love to all of you, Ms. Pam

Lindsay said...

I am so excited for you guys!! Hey, AJ were you playing Phase 10 in one of those pictures? I LOVE that game and so does David. We will have to play together when you come home and can have friends over. I am so proud of you and your courage and spirit. Do you realize how many people you have inspired? You are awesome!! You should have seen me and your grammy in the preschool parking lot after your mom shared the news that you were getting to leave the hospital! People probably thought that we had won a million bucks because we were so excited! Are you going to have a phone # at the apartment where David can call you? Let us know!

Love,
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Praise God AJ!!! That is wonderful news! I can't wait to tell our Sunday School class. They have all been praying for you. We love you little guy!!

Julianna, Marshall, Lila and Emma

The Cox Family said...

We are so excited for you and continue to keep you in our prayers!

The Worcester Fam said...

Hey there!

We are so proud of you guys for your bravery (especially you, AJ!) and are so very thankful for you all.

Silver Linings are all around us, but sometimes we have to stop to find them. Good for you AJ!! You found your Silver Lining and it helped you through your hospital days. Now, it's on to the apartment!! Keep on keeping on and stay positive!!!

We love you all,

The Worcester Fam

Anna said...

AJ,
Do you like your apartment? I hope you have fun! I hope we get to skype soon!
Love,
Anna

veronica said...

you are an amazing family :)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to have read your great news. My family and I have had AJ and your family in our thoughts and prayers and we will continue to pray for you.

With love,
Michele

Unknown said...

It was good to get the news about you getting to leave the hospital. I really miss seeing you run down the driveway every morning on my way to work but your brothers have taken your place. Ian and Tyler are doing a great job looking after your brothers for you. We think of you all the time and wish you the best.
Mr Greene
Ms Greene
Ian
Tyler