Saturday, May 23, 2009

AJ's Story

About eight weeks ago, after playing in the yard with his cousins and uncle, we noticed that AJ was bruising very easily and was overly tired. The following morning we took AJ to the doctor and found that his platelet count was extremely low. 22,000 when normal is 150,000. It turned out he also had a strep infection and AJ's doctor was hopeful that the low platelets were secondary to the strep infection. After a few days of antibiotics, the strep infection was cleared. However, the platelet count did not go up.



A few days later we traveled with AJ to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville. Some tests were run and a bone marrow biopsy was conducted. AJ was very brave.


After the biopsy procedure the anesthesia medications left him a little wooooozy..

So on the way home we got a BIG lunch at Buca. And AJ got his strength back!


The journey back and forth to Nashville is a bit long, so AJ was very happy when he was back in sweet home Alabama.
.
A few days later we learned that AJ's bone marrow was lacking megakaryocytes (the cells that make platelets) and was starting to show decreases in other counts as well. The doctors diagnosed him with Aplastic Anemia, a condition where the bone marrow, or as we call it with AJ, the blood factories, just aren't working right.
.
They have continued to try to look for the cause of the condition but have told us that most often it is an auto immune condition and no definitive cause is found. We were advised that AJ would need a bone marrow transplant. The whole family returned to Nashville so that we could each have HLA typing to determine if any of us were a marrow match for AJ.



After more days of waiting, we learned that Austin was a match for AJ. (Austin does not know this yet and we do not plan on telling him until just before the procedure).

AJ has had four transfusions of platelets over the past several weeks and will continue to receive a transfusion every 7-10 days. We have some time before the transplant, but it is not certain exactly when it will take place. Or for that matter where, as we are talking to doctors in both Nashville and Seattle.
.
We will be using this blog to post updates on AJ's progress. This site will also serve as a place where AJ can share his story with his family and friends. And where family and friends can comment back to AJ and the family directly.

We have always told the boys that brothers take care of brothers. This adventure of ours will give great roles and responsibilities to each of the boys and to both of us. Not roles that were sought, but as is often the case in life, ones that were bestowed. We will stick it out, see it through, and emerge victorious and stronger having endured. We are heartened and strengthened by the overwhelming number of family, friends, acquaintances and strangers who have stepped up and joined us in this journey.

Thank you for being part of our family's team!

-Greg and Cindy



Teamwork makes the dream work!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Prov. 17:7

Ron and Lydia

Veronica said...

AJ - Thinking happy thoughts of you :) and sending you a HUGE hug.

Aaron and Erica said...

The Hammond Team is here praying for you AJ! Thank you for creating this blog so that we can stay informed and know specifically how to pray.

Love,

Erica, Aaron, Carter, Jackson and Clara

http://prayingforyouyou.blogspot.com

Claire Aiello said...

You guys are a strong family -- and I like that last part about 'brothers taking care of brothers.' I'll check the blog often for updates. Joey and the kids and I will be praying for you daily!

:) Claire

Heather Lewis said...

Hi Cindy! Thanks for telling us about the blogspot. I will look forward to reading your amazing family story. We will continue to pray and believe for your miraculous outcome. God bless you all!

Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers! Thanks for setting up this wonderful blog--- I will check for updates all the time.

XOXO
Patty, Brian and Lily

Gill and Frank Kelly said...

Hello to the Revera family -

We spent Memorial Day weekend on LBI with Margot and Andy and that's how we got AJ's blog site. Know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. So glad to hear that Austin's a match for AJ; this is good news.

Love, Gill and Frank Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hi AJ, I don't know if you remember me or not. I'm a good friend of your Grammy Janice. I live in Miami, Florida. I heard you and your brothers spent last weekend with your grammy. I sure hope you all had fun. Maybe one day I'll get back up to Alabama to see everyone. Until then I'll be thinking of you. Love, Gail

Sharon P. said...

Hi AJ, My name is Sharon and I work with your Grandma in NJ. You are very lucky because your grandma loves you very much and talks about you and your brothers ALL the time and she is very proud of all of you! I wanted to tell you my family and I are thinking of you and praying for you. You are a very special boy and are very strong. Keep smiling!

Brielle said...

Hey AJ!!!! My name is Brielle and my mom is very good friends with your grandma in New Jersey. Honestly, your are a very very strong person. I pray for you all the time and am sending thoughts and prayers your way! From what I've heard, you've been through a lot and i want you to now that you have come very far and things will clear up soon :)!!!! Keep on being the shining boy that i love to hear about!!!

Aunt Vickie said...

Hey there!

I hope you are enjoying being out of school. I tried to send amessage the other day and it couldnt get it to work. Have you found out who farmer G is????? I'm dying to know. You better let me know as soon as you find out.

aunt Vicky

Unknown said...

Hi AJ,
I will be cheering for the White Sox! That is so exciting!! I am glad that you are feeling good - that makes me smile :). David and Kendal are really excited about seeing you soon and doing something fun now that school is out. You will have to show me the class scrapbooks that your mom made for you. We pray that you will feel better and better every day.

We love you buddy,
Lindsay

Grammy said...

Hi A.J. This is grammy I've been trying and trying to send you a message. I hope I finally learned how. Let me know if you get this. I found more lucky pennies but no more 4 leaf clovers, but I'm still looking. I love you. Grammy

Pat O said...

Hi AJ! You probably do not know me, but I work with your grandmother in New Jersey. My name is Pat O'Brien. Your grandmother is so proud of you, as well as your brothers. She always shares her stories and pictures with us at work after her visits to Alabama. I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

AJ- I am a friend of your grandmother and grand dad. I actually met Margot in Bolivia when she was young. Yes she was young -not as young as you -but close.I see you in your Cub Scout uniform. I work with the scouts in Pennsylvania. As you know the oath,a scout is brave. You sure are. Hope all goes well. I'll keep in touch. Jim Cleary

Don Morris said...

Hi AJ. You were just a little boy the last time I saw you. Now you are a big boy. I am thinking of you often and know you are going to do great things. Hang in there buddy, this will be over before you know it.
Don

Kathy and Dave said...

A.J. We are thinking about you buddy, and we know all will be well. You have a great team at home, all pulling for you. I am so glad you have this so we can keep in touch.
God bless you!!!!! p.s. A.J. if you don't remember who we are ask mommy.

Melanie & Hayden Kolb said...

You look so cool sitting in the helicopter, and your pictures of Seattle are beautiful! You are SO brave, and we are praying that you will be well soon. We love to read your posts and will check back often.

Ginger & Daryle Miller said...

Hi everyone. Sounds like you guys are going full speed. I'm glad you have seen and done so many wonderfull things. We think about you all the time. I'm glad you have this blog so we can keep up with what is going on. We love you all very much.
Ginger & Daryle

Ruthie C. said...

Hi AJ,

I work with your Grandma and I love to hear stories about you and your brothers. I especially love to see all the pictures your Grandma has of your family. I think about you and your brothers and Mommy and Daddy and I wish the very best wishes for all of you.

Ruthie

norma said...

We love you AJ and we are thinking of you all the time. We wish we were there with you.... We will come and see you soon. Love and kisses

Tia Norma

Anonymous said...

Hi AJ, I'm a friend of your grandma Margot and Grandpa Andie. This is the first time I am visiting your site and the first time I have ever posted a blog so this is pretty cool. I'm learning. Wow what a happy kid you are! I smiled just seeing your huge smile. It's a beautiful thing having all the love and support that you have from family and friends. Your little brother is awsome for being there for you. You've got some awsome parents and really awsome grandparents.

My little nephew, Grant Marconi, had the same thing happen to him when he was 5. He is now 7 and doing very well. He had great doctors and strong support from all who loved him, just like you.

Keep smiling and you'll be running with the herd again soon too!!!

Regards,
Gloria

Anonymous said...

Dear AJ, my family and I are sending a lot of support from Bolivia, we are sure that you recover soon and will remain the big brother and an exemplary son, God bless you always. Gonzalo Paz (jr)

Teresa - Justin said...

Hi AJ,
I hope you remember coming to Point Mallard with your Grammy Janice. Your brothers and you played with Justin at the playground.
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!