Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day 18, 19: Waiting for Engraftment

The days are becoming quite monotonous. Which, is a good thing. A boring thing, but a good thing. It means there is no excitement and AJ's body continues to slowly improve. They draw AJ's blood at 4:00 am. We get the lab results back around 6:00 am. The rest of the day it feels like we are waiting for 4:00 am. AJ's netrophil count was above 200 yesterday, but slipped back to 150 this morning. His platelets have remained stable and for the first time we have seen increased counts in his red blood cells. We have been told that every child is different but that most have their white cells recover first followed by red blood cells and lastly by platelets. AJ's body seems to be working on recovery of all three cell lines at the same time. Hopefully that will mean that when we do get released he won't need additional transfusions. It has been a week since his last blood product tranfusion. That was for platelets and his body has done well to maintain the post tranfusion platelet level all week, roughly bouncing around the 40 - 50 thousand range. (Normal is 150,000 -300,000). We continued to play games and watch movies.

One thing that changes each day, is the hat of day. This one was another hit with the nurses:



8 comments:

Anna said...

AJ,
Glad to hear that your counts continue to up. That is an awesome hat.
Love,
Anna

Mrs. Parker said...

AJ,
I love the hat!! I'm glad to hear that your counts are continuing to rise. This is great news and I'm sure you're going to continue to feel better and better as they continue to rise. Again, it was great to hear from you the other day. I have two more books for you that I will put in the mail on Monday. Keep us posted on how your marathon race is going. You and Ethan will have to plan to run marathons together some day.:) I miss you!
Love you,
Mrs. Parker

The Worcester Fam said...

Hey AJ!

It was so cool to see you guys yesterday!! We could see your yellow shirt through the window and your big ol' smile! Continue to stay positive and know that you are loved. Oh yeah, continue to take good care of your Mom and Dad..... you are doing such a great job with them! : )

Love to all,

The Worcester Fam

btw..... The Titans won last night!!!

Kristin Claxton said...

AJ,
I really love that hat! That is super cool! I bet you have quite a hat collection by now! I enjoy seeing your hat of the day.
I'm so glad to hear that you are getting better and better each day. That is the greatest news of all! I'm so glad to read that you saw Ethan and his family. I bet that was lots of fun (even if it was from a distance). You have so many people that love you! I sure do!

Love you and keep the good news coming!
Mrs. Claxton

Unknown said...

AJ
We continue to pray for you and think of you! We are so proud of your strength and endurance. I always love to see those smiles on your face. There is not a day that goes by at the office that we do no think of you!!

The Staff at Dr. Beitels office

Hayden said...

Hi AJ!

I love all your crazy hats! My favorite so far is the crab hat. I can't believe you have walked 26 miles - that is unbelievable!

I'm glad you are getting better.

Your friend,
Hayden

Anonymous said...

AJ,
Great to hear that your counts are going up. I can't believe how many miles you are able to walk! I sure couldn't do it. We had lunch with David, Kendal, Paul & Lindsay today after church. It is hard to believe Kendal, Austin, and Ryan are in Kindergarten this year. Preschool starts this week - I hope Jack has a good week with Ms. Sue and Ms. Judy. Tell Mom we will give him special attention and not to worry about him.
Keep sending everyone those great smiles. You are our hero - what a example you are to all of us.
Ms. Pam

Ian K. said...

Hey there AJ!Your doing better and better every day and that makes us so happy.Keep up the good work!
Ian was asking about you today and said to say Hi.
We can't wait for the next hat show!
;o)
The Kurowskys