Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 13 - First Counts! (plus day 12 update)

Hi there! AJ and Greg spent much of Saturday hanging out together, while I picked up some supplies and did some laundry. Their day included playing games, making a frame, and watching the final Pirates movie (AJ's only nausea of the day came from a scene in the movie - go figure!) It was a quiet night with some dinner and another movie. All in all a great day!

This morning started off well with reports of AJ's first counts!!!! His white blood count was 0.2, which is the first sign of the donor marrow engrafting. We are so excited!!!! In the next few days we should see the number continue to climb slowly, but then it should build pretty rapidly. Definitely a step (if only a baby one) in the right direction!!!! Again we move forward with caution as this is also when GVHD (graft versus host disease) could set in with some rough side-effects. He had done so well thus far that we are hopeful all with continue to be smooth.

Thanks again for all the cards, packages, and well-wishing messages. AJ's overall spirit has been so positive and we think his mental health is definitely helping his physical health. We have listened to other families on the unit discuss the feelings of isolation and being alone in their battle. For us, that could not be farther from the truth. Not only are we closer than ever, everyone in our lives have stepped up for us. We appreciate all of you joining us on this journey. We are blessed!

On a lighter note, here is AJ's hat (and wardrobe) of the day in honor of Jimmie Johnson, who will be racing a little later. Go 48!!!

Love to you all!
Cindy

14 comments:

irene berkson said...

Great to hear that things are going as planned. I will continue to hope for smooth sailing :) Love the outfit and hat AJ. Go #48!!! Oh, I showed my 8 year old son, Trevor your blog. I read him your story when you first started this adventure and we looked at your helicopter trip pictures and Seattle trip. We haven't finished reading all of your blog yet, but he is interested in your story and we will continue to read up to your current status. I will get him to write you on here soon. Keep the great spirit. You all are an inspiration!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey AJ,
I like your silly hats especially the snake one. I hope you continue to feel good and that your counts continue to go up. Its really cool that you got to shave your dad's head!

Your Friend,
Parker

Unknown said...

Hi AJ,

I hope that you are having a good day. I like seeing all your crazy hats. I will miss you at school tomorrow.

We're all glad to hear that your feeling better and that your counts are going up.

From,
Claire

Ms. Jackie said...

AJ,

I am thrilled to hear that your counts are up. We continue to pray for you and your family everyday. You guys are such an inspiration.

Love,
Ms. Jackie

Anonymous said...

AJ,
What good news about your white counts. That it awesome!! My favorite hat so far has to be the snake hat- very cool.
Tell your mom and dad thank you for keeping us up to date on this blog.
With lots of love and prayers,
Mrs. Illg

Anna said...

AJ,
I just wanted to let you know that I am in Mrs. Coker's class. She is really nice and I am excited about the new year. I will let you know if anything exciting is happening at Horizon. I am so glad to hear that your count's are up. Awesome work!
Love,
Anna

Anonymous said...

AJ, so happy to hear things are going well for you. We continue to pray for you and your family each day. What fun to have a different and crazy hat each day. It will be interesting to see what new hat you have each day. David and Kendal are visiting their great-grandparents in Michigan and I really miss them. They should be home tomorrow though. Lots of hugs to you. Ms. Pam

The Worcester Fam said...

Hey Guys!

We are thrilled to hear that things are going so well and pray that will continue!! We missed you all so very much at open house this week. We got Mrs. Towns!! We will keep you updated!!

Keep those big smiles coming, stay positive and know that you are all loved and missed!

The Worcester Fam

Denise Lehman said...

Hey AJ,
Great news on your blood counts - love the pics of you shaving your head. Coach Bobby (from Austin & Ryan's baseball team) and I have been following your progress daily. Thanks for sharing everything with us and know that we are thinking of you and always praying for you.
Denise & Bobby Lehman (Stefan's parents)

Anonymous said...

GO, WHITE COUNT!!!! Hi AJ, it's Mary Jo and David here. I hope your white cells keep multiplying like good little critters... We're paying attention and praying, as always...

Love,
MJ & David

Veronica said...

So happy to hear good news!
Veronica

Kaufmann said...

So glad everything is going so well. HOT DOG!!! We love you and can't wait til the count is even higher. You are doing great and we can't wait to check out what you are up to everyday. Today, Grant started his first day of PreK. He is a funny little rascal. Lucky for him (I think) his Aunt is his teacher. Avery started 2nd grade. It was a really !HOT! day. Stay cool.
LOve you
Tatum
P.S. Tell Mom and Dad, "Hello".

Mrs. Parker said...

Hey AJ,
I am so happy to hear that your counts are up. That's great news!! I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers everyday. I really like the picture. I'd say that's a pretty cool look for you! :) I have 21 sweet new students and I'm spending lots of time at school getting ready for the new year. I'm planning to find your brothers tomorrow to say hi. Have a good night and let us hear from you soon.
Lots of love,
Mrs. Parker

AJ said...

Mrs. Parker,

Thank you for saying hi to my brothers.

Love,
AJ