Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 15: Off to School

Cindy was back in Madison this morning and got to see Ryan and Austin off to their first day of kindergarten. I am sorry I missed it, but happy that AJ was well enough that Cindy could go.

AJ and I had another day of games and television. He is doing very well. His counts were up slightly again today and his platelet count has barely dropped over the past three days. These are all very good signs that the new marrow is engrafting.

We had some real silly hats today:


Cindy got back in time to watch me learning to clean AJ's dressing for his central line, as well as flushing the line with saline and heparin. AJ will leave the hospital with the line in place and we'll need to be able to do these things ourselves at the apartment.

Over the past few days AJ has been working at being able to take pills by mouth. One of the medicines he has been on requires a lot of hydration if being taken intravenously. He has been successful keeping the pills down and so this evening they took him off of IV fluids. He will only need to be hooked up for a few hours each day when he receives cyclosporin (a medicine to combat graft versus host disease).

-Greg

3 comments:

Unknown said...

AJ,

Loved you and your Dad's silly hats today! I was suppose to have soccer practice today, but it rained and thundered and lighting. I'm glad that your counts are going up.

I am praying that you will continue to do good. Have a good night and tell your Mom and Dad hi for us.

From,
Claire & Ms.Tammy

Lindsay said...

Way to go AJ! Do you know that some adults can't even swallow pills? That's a big accomplishment! It was so cool to see you yesterday through the glass tower :). I love the crab hats - the cheeseburger hat kinda made me hungry!

Love you,
Lindsay

aunt vickie said...

You have on the hat we got you!!!!You can always wear that one on the days you feel "crabby" Someone else must have the same idea since you have two. I'm glad youre having fun with the hats. I have alot of people checking your blog and they all are enjoying the hat display. I cant wait to see which hat you wear tomorrow.Hey did you ever find out who farmer G is???? I hope you have another good day tomorrow. Love Aunt Vickie