Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 17 - Marathon Man

Things continue to move along smoothly. AJ gets stronger and more active everyday. His counts continue to rise, with his ANC reaching 120 this morning (ANC is his ability to fight off infection - normal range is 2500 - 6000). Although AJ's is still very far from normal, it is steadily rising and that is a great thing. ANC is one of the numbers we will monitor very closely in the coming year to help keep AJ from getting sick, and one of the greatest reasons he will need to remain in modified contact isolation during that time.

AJ has been passing the time by exercising. He is walking (and riding a pedal tractor) daily. He completed 130 laps around the floor on Tuesday - that is 5 miles. Altogether he has completed 681 laps since he has been here, which equals 26.2 miles, earning him the title of Marathon Man. You can see yesterday's hat of the day that he was wearing as crossed the finish line:

Sara from Child-Life made him this great banner to commemorate his accomplishment. It is very funny! He has already completed 46 laps towards his next marathon.


The rest of the time AJ is reading, watching TV, or playing with the great things you all have sent. Our new favorite thing is Dart Tag which was sent by Mr. Frank and Sarah. It is a blast. We even went and bought a second dart gun to add to the fun. The nurses have to watch out when they come through because darts are flying, although a couple of the nurses are pretty good shots themselves.

So that is about it. They are starting to talk to us about responsibilities when we go home (home to our apartment, that is), and he is transitioning to taking his meds orally in preparation. No real time frame has been given but we are hoping it should be in the next 10 days or so - we will keep you posted.

Love to you and kiss your babies!

Cindy

8 comments:

Carolyn Parker said...

Again, wonderful news!!! I am so thankful that AJ is feeling so much better. I love his new title, "Marathon Man." I think this title may just have to stay with him. :)
Lots of love,
Carolyn Parker

PS-I've seen and talked to Ryan and Austin two days this week at school. They are precious boys!!

Pam Besherse said...

Great News! Just wanted to let you know that Austin and Ryan seem to be adjusting well to Kdg. It has of course been a little hectic but hey that is life in beginning kdg. Things will settle down soon unless they keep sending us more kids!!! Ahhh...JK..My prayers are with ya'll. Take care,
Pam B.

Anonymous said...

MARATHON MAAAAAAN!!!! You're amazing, AJ! Keep up the good work! We're pulling for you to break the 100-mile mark before you leave the hospital. Then you would be SUPER Marathon Man... Cool...

Love,
Mary Jo & David

Anonymous said...

AJ,
I wish I could have a smile that big when I exercise on the treadmill!!!
You are sorely missed at Horizon. The library is not the same without seeing that beaming, smiling face every day!
Keep up those laps!!
Just know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers!!

With lots of love,
Mrs. Illg

Kaufmann said...

Wow!!! I need your energy. Will you loan me some for the day? Marathon Man is also a great super hero name which I said you needed. I like it.
Love to all of you.
Tatum and the crew

Anonymous said...

A. J., Keep up the great work. You are an amazing Marathon Man, really,really Great-Nephew. I am so proud of you. Love the hats. Keep the pictures coming. You are always in my prayers,
All my love,
Aunt Marilyn

Finite Rex said...

Hey AJ. I can't believe your parents let you wear an alligator on your head that looks like the Florida mascot. :-) Glad to see you up and around.

Mark & Shelby

Vanessa said...

AJ -
Maybe one day you and I can do the New York City Marathon together. I've never done a marathon before but it sure would be fun to run/walk a marathon with the "Marathon Man" himself. I'm only up to six miles but I'll keep practicing! LOVE YOU, Aunt Vanessa