Wednesday, July 15, 2009

More Tests and Dental Work

Look for AJ’s hair decision in the coming days, we’ll be sure to post photos. Yesterday we went to Nashville for some more health screening tests for AJ and also Austin. Austin was a real trooper and didn’t flinch even though they had to stick him three times, drawing blood twice and performing a TB test. We explained to Austin his role in all this and he couldn’t have been happier with the news that he gets to help his big brother get better. He also delighted in informing Ryan.

Unfortunately, it was a very long day and emotionally trying at times as we realize what we are fast approaching. Thankfully we were again Blessed to meet in the waiting room a young man who at the age of 6 was diagnosed with aplastic anemia and had a bone marrow transplant with his younger sister being the donor. He was visiting the clinic for his twelfth annual check-up and was the epitome of good health. His mother was with him and talked a long time with Cindy.

Today, AJ had to go back to the dentist. At his checkup the other day, Dr. Beitel found a few minor spots on one of his teeth. Normally, nothing would be done about them since they were on a baby tooth. However, because any pockets of bacteria are of concern, the decision was made to clean and the small cavity and fill the tooth. Since this involved dental work (and the proclivity of gums to bleed), AJ received platelets yesterday and antibiotics this morning. Special thanks to Dr. Beitel who at the last minute was juggling his schedule to help AJ.
-Greg

6 comments:

The Hundscheids said...

Thank you, AJ, for allowing us to keep up with you through this blog! Please know that we are cheering for you and praying for you as you start your treatment. I can't believe how much you have grown and matured! I remember when you were scared to go to the dentist just for a check up!! Your dear Mom has told us about how brave you are and your great attitude! We are so proud of you! Keep up the great spirit!

Love,
The Hundscheids

Vanessa said...

AJ - I can't wait to hear about your hair decision! Your Mommy told me that you and Austin were really strong during all those tests in Nashville. I'm proud of you both. I'm in Miami for work. I went for a run this morning. It is really hot here and I was sweating and sweating and sweating. I can't wait until you and I can go for one of our runs again. Love you, Aunt Vanessa

Kaufmanns said...

Hey AJ. You are a big trooper. We are proud of you and all of your strength. You need a super name if you don't already have one. We are praying for you and know things will go great. How cool to have TWO places to call home. Let us know if you need anything.
Love,
D,T,A,G & R

Anonymous said...

Hi AJ.
I have a silly joke for you.

Question: Who did the ocean date?

Answer: The ocean went out with the tide.

I am glad to hear that everything is going well. I agree with some of the others. I think you should get some cool design shaved on your head. Maybe the White Sox or something.

Christoher Adamczyk

Mrs. Parker said...

Dear AJ,
I found the nicest surprise in my mailbox at school today. It was a very special letter from you. I will cherish it forever! Also, I found the unifix cube cross you made for me at the end of school. I plan to keep it on my desk until you return to school.

I'll be thinking about you everyday. Tell Austin that I'll be thinking about him, too.

Love you,
Mrs. Parker

Anonymous said...

AJ -

LOVE the hair! You look very rad.

Tanya Hammar