Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day -6: Admission

What a long day today was! At about 4:00am Cindy's mom and my parents arrived at the house to watch Ryan, Austin and Jack. We left soon after for Vandy. AJ's surgery was scheduled for 7:30. It was to put in place a Hickman line. The Hickman is a central catheter line that is put through the chest into a vein and then snaked to the atrium of the heart. Though this line, AJ will receive his chemo, IV fluids, have routine blood draws, and eventually Austin's bone marrow.

The surgery went perfectly and I entertained the other parents in the waiting room when I nodded off. The nurse called "REVERA" I jumped to my feet, only to realize my legs had fallen asleep. Needless to say, I took one step and nearly fell on my face to the amusement of all around me.

AJ was in the recovery room by 9:00. There we waited for a room to be made available on the pediatric transplant ward. We waited eight hours! However, we passed the time playing cards with AJ. We were warned that the Hickman might give AJ nausea and cause discomfort but as always he was a trooper. By 10:00am he was telling the nurse that his pain was at a negative 2. I was able to leave for an hour to donate blood to be banked for Austin for use post-procedure on Monday. Despite repeated promises that AJ's room would be ready shortly, it wasn't until 5:00 that we got in the room. AJ got an assortment of pills this evening to help him fight off infections. The chemo won't be started until tomorrow. He is in great spirits and was quite entertaining to all the nurses, all of whom love his hair. Cindy and I remain exhausted, but we decorated his room with posters and photos of his friends and family.

AJ is in room 6305. Please don't send flowers to him, live plants are not allowed on the ward.

Thank you to everyone for all the prayers being sent our way.

-Greg

P.S. You'll note the title of today's post is Day -6. Day 0 is transplant day.

8 comments:

Vanessa said...

Glad everything went well today. If you recall my foot fell asleep while sleeping in college and when I jumped off the bed, I broke it, so good thing that did not happen!! Please send AJ all my love. I was thinking of him every second today!!!

Kaufmann said...

We are so glad everything went well yesterday despite the long day. We are relieved to hear from you. Keep us posted and we will keep praying!!! We love you all!
D and T

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the first step went smoothly. AJ sounds like a real trooper. Keeping your whole family in my prayers.

Tanya (Kadesh) Hammar

Anonymous said...

Wow I feel exhausted just reading about it. I know where AJ gets his determination and positive mental attitude. One only has to look to his parents and see where it comes from. It seems like everything is going smoothly and I know that it will continue to do so. God be with you.
Janusz and Julia Adamczyk

Ms. Theresia said...

So glad A.J. is doing so well. I think of all of you every day. Stay strong and remember everyone is continuing to pray for you.

A.J. - 2 red tomatoes today.

Ms. Theresia

Aaron and Erica said...

I'm so glad to hear things are going well so far. We are praying for you guys...our whole family is. God is good and He hears our prayers.

Love,

The Hammond family

Baily said...

I hope you feel better. You are very brave.

The Green Brook Kellys said...

Hi, AJ - We loved your yellow mohawk, but bald is beautiful too! Hear that the angels are putting in for overtime on your behalf! Love and hugs from the Green Brook Kellys xxxoooxxx