Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day +3: Not Day +4

All day today AJ kept referring to today as day 4. It isn't. When I asked for a title of the blog tonight, he again misidentified the day. So today's title is officially "Not Day +4."

Today was another good day. AJ is doing so well drinking fluids on his own that the Doctor let him get off the IV for 6 hours. He took to walking the halls again. The Killians sent AJ a mini basketball hoop. AJ was challenging everyone to his own version of HORSE (a version in which the opponent has to stand far away from the hoop and AJ gets to stand under it). Little did AJ know that Mr. Tim has one in his office and somewhere along the way I became an expert at the long throw into a mini hoop.

Upon observing AJ circulating the halls this afternoon (26 laps) Dr. Frangoul asked Cindy if AJ knew he was three days post a bone marrow transplant. Needless to say, all are very happy at his progress.

This evening, shortly after supper arrived, AJ again became nauseous following his second dose of Methotrexate. But after a couple of hours (and some Zofran) it passed.

AJ recounted to me the adventures we had in June. From Cocoa Beach to Seattle, AJ noted we got to see the whole country from cars and planes in one week. He talked about flying over Mt. St. Helens in a helicopter, paused and said:

"You know dad, I have a great life."

Talk about perspective. (Yes, Cindy and I teared up, AGAIN).

-Greg

6 comments:

Jawana said...

AJ,
You are RIGHT! You do have a GREAT LIFE! You have two wonderful and amazing parents who love you so very much. You also have hundreds of other friends and family who are praying for you each and every day!

I was thinking today that I might get Brayden a basketball goal for his birthday. From hearing about how much you like yours, I think that might be a great idea!

I am trying to get Kyle to set up the web cam so that we can all chat with you. Hopefully we will get that done this weekend!

Love you bunches!

Jawana Kyle Brayden and Shayla

Anonymous said...

AJ,
You are such an inspiration! It was wonderful to hear that you are walking the halls and playing HORSE. Your rules sound like the ones I had playing my big brother growing up!!!
You are in my prayers-always.
Lots of love,
Mrs. Illg

Kristin Claxton said...

AJ,
I love the game of Horse! I actually played it with my dad this summer when I went to visit. He still beats me every time though! It's still a lot of fun! I'm glad you like it too!
I'm glad to hear you are doing so well! That made my heart smile! :)
I love you!
Mrs. Claxton

Veronica said...

You are amazing and so inspiring! Give your mommy and daddy lots of hugs and kisses :)
Veronica

Unknown said...

Hey AJ,

Glad to hear you had a good day! Keep getting better.

Kendal

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful and great life. You are so smart, AJ! We love you so much. Think of us in Jersey. Keep up the good work.
Love,
Aunt Marilyn and the Guys